Tin Man (2007)

Friday, December 11, 2009

Zooey Deschanel, Alan Cumming, Neal McDonough, Kathleen Robertson, Richard Dreyfuss
I'll be straight with you. The only reason that I'm talking about Tin Man is so that I can get this criticism out of the way and start on my new obsession, Alice - Syfy's other interesting twist on a fairy tale.
Unfortunately, Tin Man wasn't quite so lucky as Alice. Alice had a slightly less confusing plot line, better actors, and was shorter - always an advantage. Tin Man seemed to drag on forever - it was a 3 part miniseries that felt more like a 5 part one or longer. I can't remember how many times it's lead, DG (Deschanel) got captured, released, and escaped. I don't honestly remember what happened to her Tin Man, her Scarecrow, her Lion, and - well, I guess there was a Toto. I'm not actually sure about that either.
Her Scarecrow is a man named Glitch (Cumming) who can't remember anything...he has a Glitch. I remembered liking Glitch and the Tin Man, Wyatt Cain (McDonough; sorry if I have these wrong, it's been awhile since I watched this), and Azkadellia (Robertson), who is the evildoer. And she's an evil sorceress. And she wants power. And shew - spoiler alert! - is DG's sister. Glitch is likable because, if for no other reason, he's helpless and we feel sorry for him. Poor Cain has been forced to watch a hologram of his family being murdered. Azkadellia is a megalomaniac, and we all love watching those types of characters.
Who is DG? A girl from a small town who lives with relatives and is going nowhere and who is played pretty badly by Zooey Deschanel. While I think that Zooey may have a better voice than her sister Emily (of Bones), Emily definitely has more acting talent. And I'm sorry, but until I see it again, this is about all I have to offer on the subject of Tin Man. It's an odd twist on The Wizard of Oz. It contains the same characters or types of characters, a tornado, Oz, and... yeah. That's all I have to say.

0 comments: